ACPC Award for Excellence in EducationThe Association of Chairs of Psychiatry in Canada (ACPC) award recognizes individuals who have made a significant and sustained contribution to education in psychiatry.
CriteriaThis award is intended for individuals whose work has been widely recognized for at least three years. Nominees should have made a significant and sustained contribution to education in one or more categories:
• active teaching: lectures, small-group teaching, resident seminars, journal club, etc.
• clinical supervision of undergraduates and residents
• supervision of graduate students, postgraduate fellows, and other research students
• guidance or supervision of thesis students
• participation in community educational activities
• supervision of and participation in the examination processes of the nominee's department, university or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
• development of new evaluation strategies and techniques
• course development and innovative teaching programs
• writing course notebooks, textbooks or teaching handbooks
• development of new pedagogy
• contribution to continuing medical education
• academic management of teaching programs at the hospital level through teaching, coordination of students and residents, or centralized specialty
• publications of research on teaching strategies
• publications on education
Nomination Procedure Only one candidate may be nominated by each department of psychiatry. Only academic departments in good standing with ACPC may make submissions. Re-entries are considered when supported by the required documentation.
The submitted nominations should include
• letter of nomination;
• letters of support from colleagues and program coordinators;
• evaluations by the Department or Faculty;
• student evaluations;
• testimonials from former students;
• invited lectures;
• peer-reviewed articles;
• curriculum vitae.
One electronic copy of the complete application must be submitted to the Chairperson of ACPC/ADDPC by May 1 of each year.
Send nominations to
Chairperson, Association of Chairs of Psychiatry in Canada
c/o Ms. Amanda Iadipaolo
Tel: Tel: 902-473-2470
AdjudicationA small panel of ACPC/ADDPC members will review the submissions received from each academic centre and will decide the winner of the current year. • The award, along with a cheque for $1000, will be presented to the recipient during the annual meeting of the Canadian Psychiatric Association.
Back to Awards Table of Contents