The CPA is committed to helping meet your accredited learning goals. We offer a series of high-quality continuing professional development (CPD) programs for psychiatrists and other health professionals designed to advance their knowledge and skills in providing the best possible care for their patients.
To foster excellence in the development and provision of continuing education programs for Canadian psychiatrists and other health professionals.
- To provide educational programs for Canadian psychiatrists that promote the CanMEDS roles and competencies.
- To promote the production and implementation of Canadian Clinical Practice Guidelines (CPGs) in psychiatry through the Subcommittee on Clinical Practice Guidelines.
- To advise Canadian continuing education providers in psychiatry on appropriate needs assessments of psychiatrists, program content and evaluation.
- To provide faculty development sessions on CPD for psychiatrists and CE providers in psychiatry.
- To develop partnerships with other continuing education providers in psychiatry and shared mental health care including: university and hospital departments of psychiatry, provincial psychiatric associations, other CPA committees and affiliates, psychiatric/psychoanalytic institutes, other professional organizations (including international associations) and key industry providers.
- To provide information to Canadian psychiatrists on how to use the model of CPD activities outlined by the Maintenance of Certification program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- To develop strategies to provide feedback for Canadian psychiatrists on their CPD activity profiles.
- To develop processes to provide accreditation of formal continuing education events and self-assessment programs in psychiatry.
- To advocate for the recognition of needs of psychiatrists in their pursuit of CPD.