The CPA invites members to indicate their interest in joining a task force that will:
- Provide education and resources on psychiatry’s history regarding structural racism.
- Using an intersectional lens, explain the current impact of structural racism on the mental health of patients and of colleagues.
- Propose specific actions the CPA can take towards eliminating structural racism, and to support decolonization and reconciliation with Indigenous communities.
- Provide reports with specific recommendations for achievable actions to the CPA Board at each of its meetings through April 2024.
Ideal candidates include those with:
- Knowledge and understanding of anti-racism and anti-Indigenous racism issues
- Documented experience in working on projects relating to structural racism, decolonization and/or reconciliation with Indigenous communities
- Research and/or peer-reviewed publications in the areas of structural racism, decolonization and/or reconciliation
- Health-care policy or advocacy experience pertaining to structural racism, decolonization and/or reconciliation
Candidates must be committed to working as part of a respectful and collegial team, and past experience in serving on a similar committee or group may be an asset. Meetings will be held virtually at least monthly, and more frequently if required by the task force. Candidates must also agree to abide by the CPA’s prevailing Volunteer Code of Conduct and Conflict of Interest Policy (disclosure of competing interests will be required at the application stage).
To apply, provide a brief (250 words maximum) statement of interest, a recent copy of your CV and up to three examples of previous work you have undertaken in this area. Applications are due by Oct. 29, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. ET. Applications sent by email, fax or regular mail will not be considered.
Applications will be reviewed to create a task force of up to eight individuals with a cross-section of expertise. Wherever possible, task force members will also reflect diverse backgrounds and experiences, as well as demographics and geographic regions.
If you have questions or need more information, please email email@example.com.