The CPA is committed to helping meet your accredited learning goals. We offer a series of high-quality continuing professional development (CPD) programs for psychiatrists and other health professionals designed to advance their knowledge and skills in providing the best possible care for their patients.
Continuing Professional Development Mission Statement
To foster excellence in the development and provision of professional development programs for Canadian psychiatrists, trainees, and other health professionals.
Goals and Objectives
1. To provide educational programs for Canadian psychiatrists, trainees and other health professionals that promote the CanMEDS roles and competencies.
2. To promote the production and implementation of Canadian clinical practice guidelines (CPGs) in psychiatry through the Subcommittee on Clinical Practice Guidelines.
3. To advise Canadian continuing education providers in psychiatry on appropriate needs assessments of psychiatrists, program content and evaluation.
4. To provide faculty development sessions on CPD for psychiatrists and continuing education providers in psychiatry.
5. To develop partnerships with other continuing education providers in psychiatry and shared mental health care such as university and hospital departments of psychiatry, provincial psychiatric associations, other CPA committees and affiliates, psychiatric/psychoanalytic institutes, other health professions (including international associations) and key industry providers.
6. To provide information to Canadian psychiatrists on how to use the model of CPD activities outlined by the Maintenance of Certification program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
7. To develop processes to provide accreditation of group learning events and assessment programs in psychiatry.
Approved by CPD Committee: Dec. 4, 2019
Approved by Board of Directors: Jun. 1, 2020
Date of next review: 2023